Saturday, November 24, 2012

the last supper

 I wrote this blog post the night before I left for Thanksgiving:

Tonight is my final night at college before I travel back home for Thanksgiving.  My treat to myself for making it through the semester thus far is to prepare a special meal for my final night, the last supper....
No homework immediately due, no club meetings, just me and my never ending desire to eat yummy food.  Ahhh. 

The only food I have left from my co-op delivery is three humble sweet potatoes.  At first I was skeptical for tonight's dinner...is it really possible to make a meal out of only sweet potatoes?  Then, while I was in my French lab supposedly listening to my French audio, the wonderful Orangette blog kept beckoning to me.  In between frantically trying to memorize the conjugations of avoir, Molly Wizenberg's blog post about hasselback potatoes gave me a type of solace.  The end of the semester would soon draw French class to an end, but a good hasselback potato, that is timeless....

It's true though!  The hasselback potato is a timeless classic that originated in Sweden in the 1700s at a restaurant called Hasselbacken.  These lovely potatoes display a fancy accordion cut with olive oil and garlic glistening in between their crevices. 

I thought I would give hasselback potatoes a healthy twist by using sweet potatoes instead, as they are literally the only food I have left in my dorm room.  Yay for vitamin A!


Hasselback Sweet Potatoes: 
  1. Three sweet potatoes 
  2. Three cloves garlic 
  3. Olive oil 
Cut the sweet potatoes thinly without cutting all the way through the bottom.  Mince garlic and place into the crevices of the sweet potatoes.  Bake at 400°F for 45 minutes to an hour.  The inside should be soft and mushy and the outside should be crisp. 




No comments:

Post a Comment